(1) Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding.
(2) I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching.
(3) When I was a boy in my father's house, still tender, and an only child of my mother,
(4) he taught me and said, "Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live.
(5) Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them.
(6) Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you.
(7) Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
(8) Esteem her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you.
(9) She will set a garland of grace on your head and present you with a crown of splendor."
(10) Listen, my son, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many.
(11) I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths.
(12) When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble.
(13) Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.
(14) Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men.
(15) Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn from it and go on your way.
(16) For they cannot sleep till they do evil; they are robbed of slumber till they make someone fall.
(17) They eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.
(18) The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
(19) But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble.
(20) My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words.
(21) Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart;
(22) for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body.
(23) Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.
(24) Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
(25) Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you.
(26) Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.
(27) Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.