- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 14 oz can tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 15 oz cans black beans or red kidney beans, drained (I use the black)
- 12 6″ corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese (8oz)
- 2 medium tomatoes, slice (optional)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce (optional)
- Sliced green onion (optional)
- sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
- 1/2 cup reduced-calorie dairy sour
- In a large skillet combine onion, green pepper, undrained tomatoes, picante sauce, garlic, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, for 10 minutes, Stir in beans.
- In a 13 X 9 x 2 inch baking dish spread one-third of the bean mixture over bottom. Top with half of the tortillas, overlapping as necessary, and half of the cheese, Add another one-third of the bean mixture, then remaining tortillas and bean mixture. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- If desired, top with tomato slices, lettuce, green onion, and olives.